On October 24, 2019, the Commission authorized a short-term three-year lease to the SPHERE Institute for a shoreside park. The lease gives the SPHERE Institute site control to conduct studies and complete a site analysis. The lease requires SPHERE to provide public access, including free public parking security monitoring for safety, and to complete vegetation maintenance to reduce fire risk.
- “Opinion: State should approve new San Francisco Bay nature park” – 10/23/19 The Mercury News
- “Shoreline park on Peninsula would provide natural climate-change buffer” – 10/22/19 San Francisco Chronicle
- “Speak Up for Burlingame Shoreline Park on the San Francisco Bay!” – 10/17/19 Committee for Green Foothills
- “Open Space Park or Hotel? The Future of the Burlingame Shoreline Could Set a Precedent for Climate Adaptation” – 09/03/19 Bay Nature
- “Long-Forgotten Burlingame Bayfront Land Caught in Bidding War” – 08/25/19 KQED News
Public Land Management Specialist
Marlene Schroeder | 916.574.2320