For maintenance dredging on granted public trust lands, a local trustee or applicant is required to notify the Commission in writing of a dredging project rather than submit a lease application and processing fee. A local trustee or applicant may presume that a dredging lease is not required if certain conditions are met. These conditions include the following:
- The dredged material is disposed of at an approved on or offshore disposal site.
- The dredged material is not sold.
- The maintenance dredging is consistent with the proper management of the granted public trust lands.
If a grantee or project applicant intends to dredge on granted public trust lands where the minerals are reserved, they must notify the Commission in writing at least 120 days before dredging.
Notify the Commission of Dredging on Granted Lands
The notice must include the following information:
- A description of the dredging to be conducted, including a map and land description showing the area and project site.
- A description of the amount of material to be dredged, disposal amount, location, and means of disposal, if available.
- The time and manner in which dredging is to occur.
- The relevant permits, authorizations, and approvals that exist or must be obtained to complete dredging, or, if applicable, demonstration of compliance with a dredged materials management office plan that is administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- A declaration that the dredging is necessary for the proper management of the grant consistent with the public trust for commerce, navigation, and fisheries, or a statement of why the dredging is necessary for other purposes and a declaration that the dredging is consistent with the statutory trust grant.
- A statement with supporting documents that explains whether the trustee anticipates receiving any revenue from the materials to be dredged, and, if so, in what amounts.
Mail notifications to:
California State Lands Commission
Attention: Granted Lands
100 Howe Avenue, Suite 100 South
Sacramento CA 95825