Marine Invasive Species Program
Updates about regulations, statutes, stakeholder communications, technical advisory groups, and legislation.
- 2018 Ballast Water Treatment Technology Assessment Report
The Commission approved the legislative report “2018 Assessment of the Efficacy, Availability, and Environmental Impacts of Ballast Water Treatment Technologies for Use in California Waters” on December 4, 2018.
- 2019 Information and Reporting Updates on the Marine Invasive Species Program
- Webinar on California Biofouling Management Regulations: First Year Update
The Marine Invasive Species Program presented a webinar in October 2018 to provide an update on the implementation of California’s biofouling management regulations. The webinar specifically focuses on improving clarity for specific requirements that have been commonly deficient during inspections during the first year of implementation.
- Feasibility Study of Shore-Based Ballast Water Reception and Treatment Facilities in California
The Delta Stewardship Council has posted the final report evaluating the feasibility of shore-based ballast water reception and treatment facilities in California.
- Guidance Document for Biofouling Management Regulations to Minimize the Transfer of Nonindigenous Species from Vessels Arriving at California Ports
This guidance document summarizes the requirements of the Marine Invasive Species Program's new biofouling management regulations that are effective October 1, 2017. The guidance document also includes a Frequently Asked Questions section and an example Biofouling Management Plan template.
- Join a Marine Invasive Species e-list to receive the latest information on regulations and upcoming customer service meetings.
Submit your reporting forms online!
Information and Resources
- CHAPTER 1. General Provisions 71200-71202
- CHAPTER 2. Ballast Water Management Requirements 71203-71210.5
- CHAPTER 3. Research and Program Evaluation 71211-71213
- CHAPTER 4. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund 71215
- CHAPTER 5. Civil and Criminal Penalties and Liability 71216-71217
- CHAPTER 6. Repeal 71271
- Article 4.5. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund Fee
- Article 4.6. Ballast Water Regulations for Vessels operating within the Pacific Coast Region
- Article 4.7. Performance Standards for the Discharge of Ballast Water for Vessels Operating in California Waters
- Article 4.8. Biofouling Management to Minimize the Transfer of Nonindigenous Species from Vessels Arriving at California Ports
- Article 4.9. Marine Invasive Species Act Enforcement and Hearing Process
Assistant Chief, Marine Environmental Protection
Nicole Dobroski (916) 574-0742
Ballast Water Performance Standards/Treatment Technologies
Jonathan Thompson (916) 574-2276
Chris Scianni (562) 499-6390
Jackie Mackay (562) 499-6312