Marine Invasive Species Program
Updates on regulations, statutes, stakeholder communications, technical advisory groups, and legislation.
- Vessel Fee Increased to $1,000 Effective April 1, 2017. On December 6, 2016, the Commission approved regulations that increased the fee paid by vessels with a qualifying voyage arrival at a California port. (See Public Resources Code, § 71215.) The fee was increased from $850 to $1,000. The Board of Equalization will begin collecting the increased fee on or after April 1, 2017. The fee is deposited into the Marine Invasive Species Control Fund and funds the state's Marine Invasive Species Program.
- Proposed Modifications to Compliance Assessment Protocols for the Ballast Water Discharge Performance Standards Before initiating the formal rulemaking process, the Commission held an informal comment period from February 7 to March 24, 2017, to inform on amendments to regulations to implement the ballast water discharge standards and the development of protocols to assess vessel compliance (Article 4.7).
- Proposed Modifications to Biofouling Management Regulations The Commission is proposing modifications to the proposed amendments to regulations addressing biofouling management to minimize the transfer of nonindigenous species from vessels arriving at California ports (Article 4.8).
- The Commission approved the 2017 Biennial Report on the California Marine Invasive Species Program The report covers the activities and accomplishments of the MISP between July 2014 and June 2016. The report also summarizes next steps to continue to fulfill the Commission's mandate of moving the state expeditiously toward eliminating nonindigenous species discharges into state waters.
- 2017 Letter to Agents regarding Submittal of Required Reporting Forms
Information and Resources
- CHAPTER 1. General Provisions 71200-71202
- CHAPTER 2. Ballast Water Management Requirements 71203-71210.5
- CHAPTER 3. Research and Program Evaluation 71211-71213
- CHAPTER 4. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund 71215
- CHAPTER 5. Civil and Criminal Penalties and Liability 71216-71217
- CHAPTER 6. Repeal 71271
- Article 4.5. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund Fee
- Article 4.6. Ballast Water Regulations for Vessels operating within the Pacific Coast Region
- Article 4.7. Performance Standards for the Discharge of Ballast Water for Vessels Operating in California Waters
- Article 4.8. The Collection of Information Relating to the Hull Husbandry Practices of Vessels for Control of Marine Invasive Species in Waters of California
Assistant Chief, Marine Environmental Protection
Nicole Dobroski (916) 574-0742
Ballast Water Performance Standards/Treatment Technologies
Jonathan Thompson (916) 574-2276
Biofouling and Ballast Water
Raya Nedelcheva (916) 574-2568
Chris Scianni (916) 574-0209
Compliance and Enforcement
Christopher Brown (510) 426-1215
Jackie Mackay (562) 499-6312